AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

30 Replies - 5837 Views

AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Daria Knupp on Aug 29, 2017 10:59 am

a49973d9856d29769bf74a59daafb340-huge-08

With the filing of official complaints to the FAA, AOPA rolled out the next phase of its ongoing effort to tackle egregious fees charged by certain fixed-base operations around the country. The move comes after months of effort identifying the worst offenders and attempting to work with local airport sponsors receptive to ensuring their communities offer pilots reasonable access to their airfields, often described as the local on and off ramps to the National Airspace System. Read more here.

Have you experienced any egregious FBO pricing practices?

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Richard Lanning on Jan 9, 2018 2:19 pm

Surprised to not see Boca Raton on the list. Since President Trump's frequent visits to the West Palm Beach area severely affects Palm Beach International (KPBI) and completely closes down Lantana (KLNA) airport the next best option is Boca Raton (KBCT). Unless you fly a corporate jet, small general aviation has been essentially priced out of KBCT. Even monthly tie downs are no longer affordable to the average general aviation pilot and is evident by the dearth of small planes now tied down at KBCT. Surprisingly, their fuel is pretty much in line with other airports in the area. I can't blame them though, they are taking financial advantage of the chaos caused by the incessant VIPTFRs and certainly meeting the needs of the corporate environment.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Richard Pickett on Jan 28, 2018 10:06 am

I appreciate AOPA's efforts in monitoring FBO fees and fuel costs.  I fly 500-700 GA hours annually in all types of airplanes.  One item that should also be considered are the airport flowage fees.  These are essential to the operation of airports, however they are not always visible to the pilots.  It would help two-fold:  1)Allow pilots to see fuel price details 2)Reveal if airport authorities are charging excessive fees.  My understanding is that at least some airports do not allow the FBOs to release this information to further their shielding.  One airport that I believe does this is ATL, where the flowage fee is very high.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Joseph Kildea on Jan 31, 2018 11:44 pm

Following up on the Part 13 complints, AOPA has withdrawn the complaint against Waukegan following recent improvements. The airport is now offering free transient ramp space, alternate ramp access, and brought down the price of self-service avgas. Read the story including here.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Rex Brewer on Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am

FYI....after my inquiry about flying my C172 to work (I work at JFK for American Airlines) and the costs I have previously incurred, I received this reply....

From: Robert McAdams
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:29 PM
To: brewer_rex@hotmail.com
Cc: Antonella Lombardi
Subject: C172 Parking

Good afternoon.

I understand that you are looking for discounted parking for a C712 aircraft at JFK. The current parking rate is $45 per 8 hour interval. I can offer a discounted rate of $33.33 per interval, as Sheltair must pay the airport a fee for every parked aircraft on the ramp.

I can also discount the Facility Use fee to $20.00 as well for each turn from the current posted price of $33.60.

Please keep in mind that there are no tie downs available at JFK so you will be required to sign a waiver each time you park at JFK.

Rob

Robert McAdams
General Manager JFK

Phone: 347-566-6620
Cell: 718-207-7122
Fax: 347-566-6619

rmcadams@sheltairaviation.com
sheltairaviation.com

FBOs • Properties • Construction

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Patrick Gardiner on Mar 27, 2018 11:53 pm

Signature air at Spokane (kgeg ) gouges any aircraft no matter what you do , $20,00 to pull in even if you don,t shut down. The Mgr. at GEG says they are trying o do something with  signature management but to no avail.  There is no GA parking at the airport which I believe is contrary to assurances  under FAA grants of which GEG has a lot. What can AOPA do? Pat Gardiner

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Brent Travis on Apr 5, 2018 2:01 pm

I flew into Spokane International (KGEG) last week.  I was to meet someone at the FBO, Signature Aviation, and give him an airplane ride.  I landed, taxied up, and the lineboy directed me to a parking spot.  I got out of the plane to go meet the passenger, and the FBO asked for my credit card to charge a $40 handling fee.  They said it could be waved by buying gas, which was $2.00 more per gallon than the competition at my home airport, a 10 minute flight away. So I bought some gas.

I was shocked, because I have flown literally all over the USA and never been charged just for showing up.  THEN I asked the manager at the FBO if they were going to charge me again if I dropped the passenger off after a ride they would charge me another fee.  The answer was yes, they would have to handle my plane again.  So $80 to give someone a ride.  It makes me angry.  These people need to be run out of town.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Lee Carpenter on Apr 13, 2018 7:47 am

Since its opening in 1999, Austin Bergstrom International (KAUS) has had a monopoly FBO system in place. The city of Austin has consistently suppressed piston and turbo prop activity through lack of hangar space, excessive ramp and parking fees, no avionics services, no self service fuel farm and some of the highest fuel prices in the nation. Please research this airport's history of FBO fees and lack of services for GA. 53 T hangars for a city of over one million. Really? There are hundreds of acres available for development.
Lee Carpenter
AOPA 01162089

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Rex Brewer on Apr 13, 2018 11:49 am

New York's JFK airport also has prohibative fees and costs. There is alot of unused ramp space. Could aircraft parking without any services be implemented at a reasonable fee?

​Rex Brewer
AOPA 638740

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Richard Gallaher on Apr 16, 2018 1:02 pm

It is not just 'FBOs'... I fly around the country commercially and then go in to rent planes locally. The flight schools that rent planes love to pilfer pilots with ground school to pad their pockets. If they are doing this to me, I'm sure they are doing it to every other student that walks in the door. If you want to save general aviation offer free ground school in every state. More people would actually fly again.
​I believe the helicopter community has already figured this out. Private general aviation helicopter has been decimated in America. They now rarely charge for ground time because the flight time runs well over $400 an hour. I've even seen where they now have to offer free ground just to get people into the helicopters to fly.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Richard Gallaher on Apr 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Signature claims they can charge outragious ramp fees because they are not FAA funded... Is it legal to park on the taxi way or even unused runway?
I've seen this done at KPDK by the FBOs during over flows and they still charge for the parking.
​Can we just park on the taxiway at the entrance to Signature?