AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Daria Knupp on Aug 29, 2017 10:59 am

a49973d9856d29769bf74a59daafb340-huge-08

With the filing of official complaints to the FAA, AOPA rolled out the next phase of its ongoing effort to tackle egregious fees charged by certain fixed-base operations around the country. The move comes after months of effort identifying the worst offenders and attempting to work with local airport sponsors receptive to ensuring their communities offer pilots reasonable access to their airfields, often described as the local on and off ramps to the National Airspace System. Read more here.

Have you experienced any egregious FBO pricing practices?

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Christopher Nadel on May 25, 2018 3:18 pm

I think the FBO's in larger markets simply do not want to pump 100LL or "waste time" with average GA aircraft.  Signature has made very clear they don't want to deal with GA with such hostile pricing.  My suggestion is to take your business where it is appreciated!  With all of the fuel and flight planning tools available today it is easy to find reasonable FBO's for fuel stops.  If you have to go to a large airport, see if they have a city or federal ramp, usually parking on these ramps is free or nearly free.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Randall Langford on May 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Think about it Christopher, if you want 100LL, you are not an “average GA aircraft” to a big city FBO.  AOPA’s claim that FBO’s are intentionally denying pilots access via prices is not logical. The AOPA campaign against big city FBO’s and Signature in particular is creating ill feelings and resentment among its members.

I was just told by a remodeling company that they don’t accept customers spending less than $8000 per job.  Are they denying me access to a new porch via hostile pricing?  Should I shop around, like you, and find a company whose prices I can live with, or should I sue them?

Old Pilot and Line Boy, Randy Langford AOPA #00556406 Since 1976

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Christopher Nadel on May 26, 2018 10:45 am

I agree with everything you said.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Rex Brewer on May 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Randy, Your "old line boy" view seems to miss the fact that those who don't want services don't have an alternative at some airports built and owned with our tax dollars. I am not looking to go elsewhere, I am looking to decline some or all services and still have access.

Rex Brewer AOPA 648720 since 1978

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Richard Pickett on May 28, 2018 2:00 pm

I fly and own both turbines and pistons, flying approximately 600 hours per year, and the wide disparity in pricing for fuel amazes me.

It is true that in a free market there naturally is a balance (or imbalance) or pricing.  The issue I have is there are are few options for pilots not to choose an FBO and still have a parking location at airports that receive public funding.  In a similar manner, I can choose to park my car with a valet however I should be able to self park, sometimes with a parking meter, at a public venue.

At many airports the non-FBO transient options are limited.  In one example at Carlsbad CA Palomar airport (KCRQ) there are 276 based aircraft, 450 operations per day and only 3 non-FBO parking spots.  They have great FBOs which I frequent, however it should be our choice.

To me the issue is choice and monopolies at public facilities.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Henry Southam on Jul 5, 2018 2:01 pm

I have just gotten back into flying after a long layoff. On a recent trip to Florida, I stopped in Jacksonville overnight and was charged $52 per night for a hanger. This seems to be a bit steep to me. I would like to get opinions from others.

Re: AOPA FILES OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS OVER FBO FEES

Posted by Randall Langford on Jul 5, 2018 2:50 pm

Did you stay at a $52 dollar a night hotel while in Jackonville? If the hanger rate was $25 dollars per night, there might not have been room for you in the hanger.