3rd class medical and the FAA

3rd class medical and the FAA

Posted by Peter Sanville on Jul 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Hello,
I am having an unbelievable time obtaining my 3rd class medical. I am repeatedly being asked for MORE information and after each submission, I have been waiting weeks. Is there any way I can speed up their response ?

Re: 3rd class medical and the FAA

Posted by Dennis Thrasher on Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

Sometimes as the FAA reviews submitted records they may come across other medical issues, and they will request additional info.

Re: 3rd class medical and the FAA

Posted by Ronald Herold on Aug 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi,

The trick to getting this done when you have an issue is to work with a knowledgeable (not local in most cases) doc and when they have all the paperwork together submit it in a bundle all at once.  Unfortunately, you are past that point and clearly have submitted packages that are insufficient from the FAA's point of view.   My suggest would be to contact Dr. Greg Pinnell at www.airdocs.net,  gpinnell@airdocs.net  .  If anyone can pull your bacon out of the fire, he can.

-Ronald L. Herold, Ph.D., NSCA, MEII
Senior Certified Aircraft Appraiser
USPAP Qualified
National Aircraft Appraisers Association (NAAA)
Sustaining Member – Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
EAA Lifetime Member
AOPA Lifetime Member

Re: 3rd class medical and the FAA

Posted by Gerald Creager on Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Michael Walpole:
I too am a T2 and a little overweight, so I had an expectation of it taking a while to get a Special Issuance.  However, I got mine in the Drs office after he made a phone call.  Then I got a letter saying the AME could issue in the office until 2020 as long as my meds didn't change and my A1C was controlled.  I had no issues getting another medical last Sept.; however, I have a diabetes worksheet I have to mail to Oklahoma City after the exam.  It's a PIA and I might switch to Basic Med at some point.

My Dr is doing blood work twice a year and my last 2 A1Cs have been 5.9.  Trying to keep it that low and get it lower.

In fact, with your A1c, you don't need it lower to continue to get a CACI, and there's some literature suggesting that treatment can be too aggresive in lowering. The Worksheet is only a minor PIA, and getting routine labs twice a year, while a slight nuisance, is a good check.

Re: 3rd class medical and the FAA

Posted by David Grier on Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am

Dean Fazekas:
I suggest Dr. Ray Steinhauser.  He provides phone consultations at a reasonable price.http://www.ohioame.com/why-ohio-ame/why-choose-dr-steinhauser

Agree. He is great!

Re: 3rd class medical and the FAA

Posted by David Grier on Aug 20, 2018 9:25 am

While it is easy to criticize the FAA, and the medical process, personally I criticize the whole industry for not educating student pilots on how to pass the medical exam and how to prepare.  AOPA and others need to outline to student pilots and to the aviation industry what needs to be done prior to applying for a medical examination. There is so much knowledge that a student can obtain on their own with a little research online.

In 2007 I had a liver kidney transplant. One year later I applied for my medical. 65 days later it was received in the mail. How did this come through so easy for me? Simple. I prepared for the exam by going to the FAA website and finding what the standards were. I knew I had to obtain all medical records and also to have in hand information from my physicians a statement of my physical fitness. When I met with my AME, I handed over the letters from my physicians, medical records that I could obtain online for the past year, and also signed over a medical records release so that medical records from my transplant center could be sent immediately. Also, I am monocular which means I have no vision in one eye. I knew that I had to have an eye exam from an ophthalmologist and that was also handed over during my examination. There is no back and forth between me and the FAA. They have all of their information in hand when I applied. Considering that in a 10 years I had to transplant surgeries resulting in three new organs being transplanted into me, I then applied for a very difficult medical examination and passed with flying colors.