IFR currency clarification

IFR currency clarification

Posted by Thomas Kaye on Jul 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello all-
I am a returning pilot having stopped flying 12 years ago.
I have VFR and IFR ratings and have completed a biennial flight check.
My question, re: IFR currency is whether I require q IFR proficiency check.
Within the last month I have flown with a CFII and have performed 9 instrument approaches, intercepted headings to fixes/navaids, and have performed a hold, all of which were recorded and signed off on in my log book.
Does this make me IFR current, or do I still require a IFR proficiency check?

I appreciate your answer(s) to this- I have read 61.7 C&D and remain confused as to whether I am current or not.

Re: IFR currency clarification

Posted by Ronald Levy on Aug 1, 2018 11:03 am

No, it does not make you IFR current.  Since you were out of currency for more than six months, you must have a full Instrument Proficiency Check.  The IPC items I don't see in what you listed are the partial panel unusual attitudes and partial panel nonprecision approach.  Depending on how your plane is equipped, there may also be GPS and/or autopilot Tasks to perform in order to complete an IPC.

That said, given the events you did complete with that instrument instructor, I'm a bit surprised that a full IPC was not completed and endorsed.  Did this instructor not understand how long you'd been out of currency?

Re: IFR currency clarification

Posted by Thomas Kaye on Aug 1, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Ron and thanks for the clarification.
I have not discussed the situation with my CFII as of yet-
I was mainly inquiring for myself and my CFII is on vacation for the next week so I could not ask him.

Appreciate the quick response

Tom

Re: IFR currency clarification

Posted by Hans Van Riet on Aug 6, 2018 9:50 am

You need a proficiency check. All of which can be done in a approved simulator, except the 'circle-to-land'.

Re: IFR currency clarification

Posted by Ronald Levy on Aug 6, 2018 12:38 pm

Hans Van Riet:

What you can or cannot do for the IPC in a particular flight simulation device is outlined in that device's approval letter.  Some FSD's with large-scale visual systems are approved for all Tasks including the Circling maneuver; some have several Tasks which are not approved.  You and your instructor must review the approval letter to be sure what you can/cannot accomplish in the particular device you are using.

Re: IFR currency clarification

Posted by Thomas Kaye on Aug 8, 2018 10:42 am

BTW I took the IPC yesterday-
I am considering using a simulator as a back-up for currency if needed.
Have any of you had experience with simulators with respect to realism (gusting winds in a procedure turn/shear zone on final approach)?

Re: IFR currency clarification

Posted by Ronald Levy on Aug 8, 2018 1:22 pm

Thomas Kaye:
BTW I took the IPC yesterday-

Great!  How'd you like it?

I am considering using a simulator as a back-up for currency if needed.

In a true flight simulator, yes, and it's pretty amazing.  But those are multi-million dollar devices you won't find at your local flight school/FBO (unless you happen to live next door to United's training center in Denver) or be buying for home use (unless your name is Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos.  The turbulence and wind shear effects in the devices you are likely to buy or find are extremely artificial and serve pretty much only as an annoyance rather than a realistic depiction of an airplane's responses to those phenomena.  We at PIC just leave the turbulence level at zero on our ATD's.

Re: IFR currency clarification