Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Randy Young on Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am

As a kid I used to love planes.  I had models hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom, and I grew up near a large GA airport, Hayward, CA, as well as very close to Oakland Airport, so back then I would hang around the airports and get to know the guys in the tower.  They let me hang with them and watch as they worked.  I had visions of becoming a pilot, but then life got in the way.  Starting a family, having a career to support the family and so on put flying on the back burner.

During the annual air show in Olympia, WA, where I now live, last summer I was sitting on my deck watching the planes fly over.  I'm within the Class D airspace of KOLM, so I see a lot.  I thought I should at least check on it.  OK, one demo lesson and I was hooked.

I'm still a student pilot, but getting close, and I feel so at home once we get up in the air that I regret never having done this before, but I'm so happy I finally got started now.

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Jack Bego on Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am

I am now 83 and have no personal problems staying current but some think I might be a bit crazy for wanting to continue. Any thoughts?

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Sam Toler on Sep 17, 2018 10:14 am

go for it, my wife just got her license at 74 years.......
great experience, but be ready, tougher now than back in the day when
they wanted to teach flying

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Randy Young on Sep 17, 2018 10:49 am

I say as long as you feel comfortable and you can keep your medical and license up to date, and of course you are enjoying yourself, then stay with it.  I just saw a man in his 80s this year at the airshow still doing aerobatics and amazing people.

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Jack Bego on Sep 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks to all; you confirmed my feelings.

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Joseph Custer on Sep 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Do it! The key is if you can pass the physical, which most can do even with common health issues if properly treated. Generally speaking, it might take you a little longer in training than a 20 year old, but there is absolutely no reason that you can't do it.

There is also a hidden benefit to learning to fly at 70. Flying is an anti-aging activity. It will help you maintain your cognitive ability and general mental sharpness. Basically, it helps prevent mental atrophy.

I can't think of a better activity for a 70 year old guy. I just celebrated the 25tth anniversary of my 50th birthday late last week.

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Gary Redden on Oct 1, 2018 9:30 am

Retired test pilot that's not flown in 26 years going back into test flying on jet equipment at 75. In today's world it's not how long you've been around but what your capable of. Age as a measure of capability is obsolete.

Re: Just decided to learn to fly at 70 years of age

Posted by Jessie Hicks on Oct 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Wow! You guys are an inspiration to me! I have dreamed of this all my life. I am 46 soon to be 47 years young next February. I thought I might be getting too old for this, but apparently, I am still a whippersnapper who is all wet behind the ears! I am inspired by the wisdom maturity and experience that your generation has to offer my generation. I pray that I have that kind of tenacity when I reach 70! Hooray for you! Thanks for the post!
Jessie R. Hicks