7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by John Choberka on Feb 1, 2019 8:34 am

I'm looking to purchase a Cherokee 6-260, but most don't come with the 7th seat (additional seat in middle row) which is a "must have" for my aircraft needs (5 smaller kids, and yes I've done the W&B calculations).  I've inquired to Piper about adding the 7th seat, and they say it's authorized per the original parts manual (1966), and that any ANP can install and certify.  I'd appreciate any info from anyone out there that's gone through the install process and been successful, or open to suggestions from ANPs.  I've been able to find the seat for purchase from various venders, but not the floor hardware to mount the seat.  Thanks for any help or info.

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Feb 3, 2019 6:20 pm

Just remember that if you install the Service Kit to convert a 6-place PA32 to 7 seats, it can no longer be flown by a pilot on Basic Med (exceeds the 6-seat limit).

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by John Cavanagh on Feb 4, 2019 11:45 am

I highly recommend Cherokee Six 300, is 10 knots faster then the 260 and a lot better climb performance while burning only one gallon an hour more. You also me find did the 7th seat option is more available on the 300

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by John Choberka on Feb 4, 2019 11:48 am

Ronald, I've been flying on a 3rd class medical for years, so I don't see the benefit of Basic Med other than it being free in some areas.  Can you elaborate for me?

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by John Choberka on Feb 4, 2019 11:49 am

John Cavanaugh, I'd like to go faster, but unfortunately I need that additional useful load that is lost with the -300.  Thanks for the input though.

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Feb 8, 2019 2:06 pm

John Choberka:

I didn't know any doctors were doing it free (although I know some will do it at no extra charge during another routine physical exam already paid for by insurance or Medicare), but the biggest benefits are:
  1. You only need to complete the physical exam every four years instead of every two (for those of us over 40).
  2. For those needing an SI, you don't need to do a new SI process every two years (or in many case, annually).  This can save months of time and thousands of dollars.
  3. For many conditions requiring an SI for Third class, you may not need to do the SI process at all.

See the following for more information:
  1. AC 68-1 - https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_68-1A.pdf
  2. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/
  3. https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-pilots

Of course, in your case, with the 7th seat in that Six, Basic Med would not be an option even if you had only five passengers, since there is that 6-seat limit as well as the 5-passenger limit.  And if anyone's wondering how you could have more than 5 passengers in a 6-seat airplane, think "lap children" (91.107(a)(3)(i)).

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by John Choberka on Feb 11, 2019 10:04 am

Ronald, great info.  Thank you.  What is SI?  I tried to find in the links.

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Feb 12, 2019 10:40 am

John Choberka:
Ronald, great info.  Thank you.  What is SI?  I tried to find in the links.

"SI" is a Special Issuance medical.  It's a process where the FAA may approve a medical certificate despite certain medical conditions which would otherwise be disqualifying.  See https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/special-issuance-certification for more about SI's.

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by Christopher Wieczorek on Apr 3, 2019 11:59 am

Following this myself as I'm in the same situation, looking for a Cherokee 6 with a 7th seat or the option to get a 7th seat.

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Apr 4, 2019 7:04 am

Christopher Wieczorek:

Because Piper has an FAA-approved kit to modify a 6-seat PA32 to the 7-seat configuration, that option always exists.

Re: 7th seat for Cherokee 6-260?

Posted by Neil Cohen on Apr 8, 2019 12:01 pm

Ronald Levy:

I'm on BasicMed and am considering a Cherokee 6.  As I understand it, even if particular PA32 has only has 6 seats installed, before you can fly it under BasicMed it's log needs to show the STC that limits your aircraft to the 6 seat configuration.  Since the PA32's type certificate allows a 7th seat, a pilot with BasicMed is disqualified from flying a 6-seat PA32 without that STC'd limitation.