What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Paul Lilly on Jun 4, 2017 2:09 pm

We all have our favorites! But why do we choose them? Is it the utility that matches your mission; is it the ramp appeal; was it the model your father owned; or does it just happen to be the one that is available at your local airport? Our paths to our passion likely help influence our choice.

I would like to know! Let's share how we got to where we are today.

I'll start!

I have a V Tail Bonanza as my choice to own. It has the capability of getting me quickly to places my wife and I like to go to, and with the tip tanks, non stop. Of course all Bonanzas do that, but I picked the V Tail model because of it's unique look. I had always been partial be Beech because I trained at a Beech Aero Center in Sundowners and Sierras. The center always had Bonanzas available although I did not fly them during training, I loved to look at them and see them fly. Shortly after my training the Beech Aero Centers closed, but many of the schools kept the planes on leaseback and continued to operate, and I rented them until I could afford my own. My favorite plane to own today, has a lot to do "brand-wise" with where I started a long time ago. Then within that brand finding the model that fit my mission and style.

So what is your favorite airplane to own and why?  Your turn to share!

434767fbddc5635b1f3919c6bba9acfe-huge-im

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Michael Gross on Jun 4, 2017 3:54 pm

My airplane of choice is a Piper Malibu, but that ain't gonna happen. So, I learned in Grummans, a Lynx, and I later bought a Yankee, which I flew for a few years. I really like the Cheetah and Tigers. I have a Cheetah, which I like for it's ramp appeal and efficency.  It is economical to operate and is fast for it's horse power.  I will fly my Cheetah and dream about the Malibu.   Mike

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Richard Mutzman on Jun 5, 2017 9:27 am

I currently own a Grumman Tiger after owning a Cheetah for 14 years. Prior to that I was in a club for 12 years flying Piper products. The AnP/IA we used was a Grumman nut, and got me started in the breed.  I am very familiar with the unique aspects of the breed, love the low maintenance cost, and ownership cost, along with the speed and payload ability. All that said, I still would like to own a Bo, but just don't think I can quite justify it given my mission today at age 59.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Matthew Reedy on Jun 5, 2017 12:44 pm

Richard,

i too have been enamored with the low cost, good performance features of the Grumman Tiger since flying a friend's several years ago.  Another friend talked me out of buying a Tiger because of his fear that since it is out of production, getting parts might be problematic. Have you had any trouble keeping it maintained?  Thanks!

matt

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Rudolf Roosli on Jun 5, 2017 12:51 pm

A little less than 2 years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a 1977 Piper Turbo Arrow III. The plane had the same owner since it was first bought. The original owner invested in several upgrades. The ones I considered the most valuable are aftermarket cowl flaps and the intercooler. Given my budget, this is the perfect machine for me. I can conservatively cruise at 150 knots while burning less than 11 gph. With the built in O2 system I can fly above the weather and the annual is between $1.5Kand $2K. For shorter trips carrying a little less fuel, I can actually fly with four adults. Since there is no automatic waste gate, it takes a little time in learning how to manage the engine and I ended up deciding to keep TIT at or bellow 1500. So, despite being a turbo charged engine, I am confident I'll reach and eventually may get beyond the engine TBO of 1800 hours.
I love flying it and highly recommend this plane. Come visit and I'll gladly let you try it our for yourself... :-)

9e6922b4dcfc91551c6b755cbbade695-huge-im
c603b48c938e9e1749f0078900f6e879-huge-im
3e8104a9ae0105dc29733f88ffc536f7-huge-im

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Michael Gross on Jun 5, 2017 9:30 pm

Asking about the Grumman parts. I have not had any problems getting parts. Fletchair and Ken Blackman seem to have that covered.  I haven't really needed many Grumman specific parts.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by William Dykes on Jun 7, 2017 1:22 am

I fly a 58 Baron full time as my job. My dad has owned 2 V tail Bonanzas that I flew a lot. But my favorite is my Luscome 8A with no electrical old school flying. The V35B N771T in the top picture I have flown many times when it lived in MS.

Frank

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Nat Jackson on Jun 11, 2017 6:40 pm

I have champagne tastes and near beer budget, so if budget wasn't an option I would dearly love to own a TTX. However, being a realist, I loved the 172 I learned in. For the amount of flying I expect to do anything more would be a waste.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Richard Mutzman on Jun 12, 2017 8:11 am

Matthew Reedy:
Richard,

matt

Matt,

As someone else mentioned, I have not had a problem with parts. FletchAir has PMA for a lot of the unique items, and Ken Blackman at NW Mods all have parts and are Grumman Specialist. There are several Grumman specialized AnPs around the country. Keep in mind, engines are engines, brakes are brakes, and avionics are avionics. There are some nuances, but every make of airplane has its nuances.

Would suggest you you check out AYA.org, GPA.org, or the Grumman Gang for more info, if you are interested in the breed.  Do a web search.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jun 12, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm another Grumman aficionado along with Matthew and Richard, currently on my fourth Grumman after having finally bracketed the one which best meets my needs and wants in the Tiger.  For more on the Grummans, please come on over to the Grumman Flyers corner of the Type Clubs groups here in the AOPA Hangar.

​What got me into the type was the program by American Aviation back in 1970 which short-leased AA-1 Yankess to flight schools as a teaser to get them to equip with AA-1's as their primary trainers.  I'd just completed my Private training in Cessna 150's, and that sporty little robin's egg blue plane on the school's ramp caught my eye.  The picture below is s/n 1, the one I flew was s/n 12, but identical.

821b0f4200af30db6a070d5163586326-huge-n5

​It only took one flight to fall in love with its sporty handling, great speed (for 108HP), and superb outside visibility.  Having flown that, when it came time to buy one for myself and my C-150-trained pilot wife, it only took one flight to convince her that a Yankee was the plane for us.  After our son was born, a larger plane became necessary, and we didn't even look at anything other than AA-5A Cheetahs, which provided four seats and about 500 lb payload with full six hours fuel, but retained the primary characteristics which originally sold me on the Yankee.  Later on, looking for a bit more speed and payload, we moved up to the GA-7 Cougar twin, but it was more plane than we needed, so settled back to a Tiger, and that's what we have now.
873b98887c4671c765b38135e6dee01f-huge-ti

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Jimmy Wright on Jun 13, 2017 11:35 am

I have flown Cessnas, Pipers, Mooneys, and Beech singles. My preference is Mooney. I own a 66 M-20C. For my normal mission, myself my wife, my Moony fits very well. The 66 M-20C is manual gear with a 180 hp O-360 that is very effecient. Book fuel burn is average 10 gal/hour. I have found it to be a fun to fly short haul or very stable cross country bird.