What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Paul Lilly on Jun 4, 2017 2:09 pm

We all have our favorites! But why do we choose them? Is it the utility that matches your mission; is it the ramp appeal; was it the model your father owned; or does it just happen to be the one that is available at your local airport? Our paths to our passion likely help influence our choice.

I would like to know! Let's share how we got to where we are today.

I'll start!

I have a V Tail Bonanza as my choice to own. It has the capability of getting me quickly to places my wife and I like to go to, and with the tip tanks, non stop. Of course all Bonanzas do that, but I picked the V Tail model because of it's unique look. I had always been partial be Beech because I trained at a Beech Aero Center in Sundowners and Sierras. The center always had Bonanzas available although I did not fly them during training, I loved to look at them and see them fly. Shortly after my training the Beech Aero Centers closed, but many of the schools kept the planes on leaseback and continued to operate, and I rented them until I could afford my own. My favorite plane to own today, has a lot to do "brand-wise" with where I started a long time ago. Then within that brand finding the model that fit my mission and style.

So what is your favorite airplane to own and why?  Your turn to share!

434767fbddc5635b1f3919c6bba9acfe-huge-im

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Michael Smith on Nov 21, 2018 1:38 pm

I've owned my Cherokee 180 C for 21 years. I have many hours in 150's 152's 172's 182's Cessna's but prefer the Pipers.
Of all the different Pipers I've flown I just love the heresy bar wing 180"s. Why is a no brainier. Handling, payload, performance, and cost to maintain.
I have done a lot of up grades with speed modes, avionics, and instrumentation since 1997. The biggest improvement has been the G5's. No more vacuum gyros.
Not quiet fast as an arrow or the Grumman Tiger, but at altitude I can get and impressive 135 knots at 9.5 gals per hour.
At lower altitudes I have to hold her back out of the yellow.
Attached files

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Nov 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Michael Smith:

I've flown a lot of Cherokee 180's over the years, but never one that would do 135 knots airspeed in level flight, even at full throttle at low altitude, no less at 65-70% power (which is what you get from an O-360-A on 9.5 gph).  Sure you didn't mean 135 mph?  That would be more like it in my experience.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Richard Mutzman on Nov 26, 2018 8:39 am

Ron... or perhaps he is referring to 135 Kts ground speed from the GPS.  I too have a lot of Cherokee 180 time.  Never saw 135 Kts TRUE airspeed, but I do in my Tiger, while hauling 900 lbs of useful load!

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Royal Mortier on Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am

Recently bought into a partnership on a 1966 Piper Cherokee 235.  Researching it, I was really pleased with bang for the buck and ability to meet my needs.  My regular flight is minimum 3 hours with 1-4 people, luggage, and marketing equipment.  Having retractable gear would be a nice addition, but the power, range, and hauling capacity really made this a quality choice for my needs, and maintenance/annual is affordable.  Compared to my 172, my hourly rate of operation is less, and about 2.5 times the range between fueling.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Max Reason on Nov 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Put me in the queue to get two or three BFR from SpaceX.

Or, if I must factor in operating costs, I'll choose a pipistrel virus sw with Rotax 912iS (or 915iS if they will make that) with 300 liter "extreme range" fuel tanks so I can fly across the pacific ocean in hops (which requires 4000km range plus safety margin).

Anyone here want to partner on either of these, especially if you're near southern Utah or northern Arizona?

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Kenneth Hardigan on Nov 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Choice very much influenced by Mission.. That said a DA42-6 is economical in gas (10-16 Gal Jet A /Hour) with speeds of 160-190 knots with a FADEC engine and great IFR package. Yes it's a twin and the annuals are twice as expensive but the safety of two engines opens up nighttime IFR as well as trips off the coast..It is a joy to fly and is truly a personal transportation machine

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Alex Dashkin on Dec 14, 2018 10:29 am

Hello all, I am owning 1977 YAK-18T. This is 4 seats USSR trainer aircraft with aerobatic capabilities. Powerfull radial engine 360HP with supercharger allows it to fast climb up to 4000m (limited due to unpressurised cabin) and fly for 1200km (plus safety margin). The must benefit of this aircraft is weight capability, take-off and landing pefrormances and allowed crosswind figure as well, as nice design and chopper sound. The most disadvantages is quite slow cruising airspeed, approx 110kts (200kph), at 3800m MSL ground speed approx 135kts, high fuel consumption approx 11G (50L) of RON95 per hour and very difficult and expencive mainenance. As I am certifite aircraft mainenance technicnan B1.6, this does not hurt me too much, but camparing with other aircrafts, this is an clear disadvantage of this plane. I am struggling to answer why I do fly it, the only reason is - I just feel like :)).3001e777eefc5e944266442d11f63bfd-huge-im
875bab825bf8f6781aef754d022999d8-huge-we