What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

67 Replies - 15475 Views

What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Paul Lilly on Jun 4, 2017 2:09 pm

We all have our favorites! But why do we choose them? Is it the utility that matches your mission; is it the ramp appeal; was it the model your father owned; or does it just happen to be the one that is available at your local airport? Our paths to our passion likely help influence our choice.

I would like to know! Let's share how we got to where we are today.

I'll start!

I have a V Tail Bonanza as my choice to own. It has the capability of getting me quickly to places my wife and I like to go to, and with the tip tanks, non stop. Of course all Bonanzas do that, but I picked the V Tail model because of it's unique look. I had always been partial be Beech because I trained at a Beech Aero Center in Sundowners and Sierras. The center always had Bonanzas available although I did not fly them during training, I loved to look at them and see them fly. Shortly after my training the Beech Aero Centers closed, but many of the schools kept the planes on leaseback and continued to operate, and I rented them until I could afford my own. My favorite plane to own today, has a lot to do "brand-wise" with where I started a long time ago. Then within that brand finding the model that fit my mission and style.

So what is your favorite airplane to own and why?  Your turn to share!

434767fbddc5635b1f3919c6bba9acfe-huge-im

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Richard Gallaher on Apr 16, 2018 12:17 pm

I learned in the R22 before it was equipped with a governor. If Frank Robinson didn't build that helicopter I probably never would have flown one. He fulfilled my dream from the time I was 5 years old watching helicopters at the local airport as they lifted off in front of me. I would cry if my mother didn't take me to the airport to watch them fly. I was drawing detailed Bell helicopters in class by the time I was in second grade. Yes, I would have to say the Robinson R22, the aircraft that finally fulfilled my childhood dream.

Airplanes I love to fly

Posted by Terry Propst on Apr 23, 2018 9:41 am

My nephew and I own a Cesnna 182 RG. It's great for getting from one place to another and carrying a load. But I also own a Vans RV-6A which I love to fly. Plus the cost difference in maintenance is great!!

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Thomas Truett on Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I have had the good fortune to fly a fair number of airplanes during my career and to me there is NO favorite, best plane. It depends upon what I want to do. If I am flying to may favorite grass strips then a tail wheel of some description, a Cessna 180 or RANS S6 or a Maule perhaps. If I am "going" somewhere then I, too, like a Bonanza or a Cirrus. If I am going a long way then a Citation will do nicely. I have always believed that the more different airplanes a pilot flies the better pilot they will become. Seaplanes and gliders are so much fun for a day of pure fun flying. So, fly as many different aircraft as you can as often as you are able.9a571103827c5647ce36e3a947a20bfb-huge-bu

My airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Richard Russell on May 7, 2018 9:07 am

I have owned several airplanes over the years including a C182 and 195. My favorite was the 195 for overall comfort but it requires a tail wheel endorsement. For new airplane owners I highly recommend the 182 for overall economy, comfort and the 182 will carry 4 people plus baggage. The 172 is a 4-place in writing but, in fact, it’s a 2-place due to engine power.

my opinions for what it’s worth

Dick RUSSELL, CFII/ATP, etc
and more important holder of the Wright Brothers Award for flight safety

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Peter Rauch on May 7, 2018 1:44 pm

Gotta jump in late here with the hard-to-beat capabilty and utility of my Cessna T206.   Absolutely perfect for transporting four full-sized adults and luggage.  When my kids leave we may downsize, but for the last 8 years there's no othe single out there including a Bonanza that can match its capability to haul a family of four with luggage. And the dog.   Full fuel and empty tip tanks yield me 5 hours of flight and 863 pounds of people and luggage with a huge weight and balance envelope.  If you close the door, you can pretty much put it in the plane.  Yes, its a truck, and burns 16 GPH, but its a stable IFR platform, gives me 145kts, and simply gets it done.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by John Cavanagh on May 7, 2018 3:53 pm

I have owned 7 or 8 planes over the years, I now have a Cessna 182 RG. I can put 850 lb in Cabin and 4 hours of fuel in Cruise at 150 kts at 13 gallons an hour, annuals are under $1,000 a year. $406 a year for a million dollars liability insurance through aopa.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Roy Uptegraff on May 14, 2018 8:20 am

7971750877efae295c1f01fefb9802f0-huge-16
The Cessna 172.  Fortythree years later, I still love flying this plane.  Reliable, affordable, and updated with modern avionics, it is a great airplane to enjoy.  The Lycoming O-320E2D is one of the most dependable engines ever built.  It can fly into just about every airport on the map and so simple to handle. Even better is when both of my daughters learned to fly it as teenagers.  The value of the plane just keeps getting better.