What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

35 Replies - 5981 Views

What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Paul Lilly on Jun 4, 2017 2:09 pm

We all have our favorites! But why do we choose them? Is it the utility that matches your mission; is it the ramp appeal; was it the model your father owned; or does it just happen to be the one that is available at your local airport? Our paths to our passion likely help influence our choice.

I would like to know! Let's share how we got to where we are today.

I'll start!

I have a V Tail Bonanza as my choice to own. It has the capability of getting me quickly to places my wife and I like to go to, and with the tip tanks, non stop. Of course all Bonanzas do that, but I picked the V Tail model because of it's unique look. I had always been partial be Beech because I trained at a Beech Aero Center in Sundowners and Sierras. The center always had Bonanzas available although I did not fly them during training, I loved to look at them and see them fly. Shortly after my training the Beech Aero Centers closed, but many of the schools kept the planes on leaseback and continued to operate, and I rented them until I could afford my own. My favorite plane to own today, has a lot to do "brand-wise" with where I started a long time ago. Then within that brand finding the model that fit my mission and style.

So what is your favorite airplane to own and why?  Your turn to share!

434767fbddc5635b1f3919c6bba9acfe-huge-im

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Cliff Mead on Nov 1, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm not technically an owner....yet.... not until the day after tomorrow! Piper Lance II. I'm on the mine-her's-ours family plan so we need space at a price we can afford. I like how it flies once it's off the ground... happy with her as an IFR platform, and the kids are already in love with her! it's an overall win.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Nov 2, 2017 10:30 am

Cliff Mead:
Piper Lance II. .. I like how it flies once it's off the ground...

ROFL.  That’s one of the T-tails, isn’t it?  I flew one for about a week a long time ago, and I never did figure out how to make smooth rotations on takeofff or good flare transitions to landing.

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Larry Petro on Nov 6, 2017 6:50 am

I owned a Cessna Cardinal RG for thirty years.  What a great plane.  Excellent IFR platform, nice flying, excellent visibility in all regimes of flight, good payload, and good useful load.

I sold it recently and purchased a Columbia 350.  Wow.  That's a step up!

2a04f042b571d55849ae2fd29391a9c9-huge-im

b07830e698cf756e7379fafe09301387-huge-im

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Kent Schroeder on Nov 9, 2017 11:40 am

I learned to fly in a Piper Colt.  No flaps, sank like a rock.  Owned a Cessna 205.  The 205 had a great payload but was not anything extraordinary.   I have flown a number of Piper and Cessna aircraft with no particular favorite.  When I started flying in the 60's there were no headphones so hearing the radio was difficult at times.  Then, in the early 70's I had a chance to ride in a V tail Bonanza and I was struck by how quiet it was.  So that led me to purchase a C model, then a V35B and finally a 1976 A36.  So I am partial to Beechcraft but would acknowledge there are recent arrivals in the marketplace that have caught the attention of the flying public.

Kent Schroeder

Re: What is your airplane of choice to own, and why?

Posted by Greg Schorr on Nov 13, 2017 6:08 am

Mine is a Cessna T206HD.  18.1pgh, TAS at 155 consistently, can lift anything that can be put in it.  Low cost to maintian.  Just a great plane