Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

5 Replies - 321 Views

Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

Posted by Frank Palmieri on Jun 7, 2018 3:22 am

Hi All,

I'm searching for a 04 - 06 182T or TT and have come across a possible deal killer. Can a 04 - 06 G1000 plane be upgraded to WAAS? I've been searching and some sources say yes and some say no. If anyone knows for sure please let me know and if so how much it should cost. I don't want to purchase a plane that I plan to own for the remainder of my flying days only to discover that it will eventually become obsolete because of constantly changing FAA cut backs.

Thanks for your help
Frank

Re: Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

Posted by Craig Roser on Jun 11, 2018 9:10 am

I own a 2005 C182T.  Last year I added WAAS along with ADS-B in and out by Garmin GTX 345R.  The 345R comes in two versions, one with and one without GPS.

Re: Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jun 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Have you tried calling Garmin and asking them?  I'll bet they can give you a reliable answer very quickly.

Re: Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

Posted by David Welch on Jun 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Adding WAAS to a G1000 costs about $70K to enable new capability like LPV approaches.  If you just want ADS-B, then like others have said install a Garmin GTX-345R transponder with the WAAS option.  You will NOT get a WAAS capable panel; just ADS-B out and ADS-B in displayed on the G1000.

This is why 2007 182T's cost so much more, you get a WAAS featured panel and the awesome digital ADHRS GFC-700 autopilot.

Re: Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

Posted by Frank Palmieri on Jun 13, 2018 4:42 am

I decided to purchase a 2007 with WAAS and SVT. Delivery will be on 6/26 and hopefully the prebuy goes well. I'm not sure if it has ADS-b but from what I have heard that upgrade is cheap compared with WAAS. Thanks for the input.

Re: Cessna G1000 WAAS Upgrade

Posted by Michael Barta on Jun 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I am glad you got the 2007 182. Mine had waas. I added svt when i bought it and last year i added the gtx345r.

If you want full adsb in on the mfd, you may need to upgrade the g1000 os. I did and i feel it is worth it. I really like the svt and now the adsb. Traffic is much improved.

Dan