What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by John Munn on Jan 9, 2018 4:10 pm

Happy New Year, aviators! What are some of your top New Year's resolutions for 2018? I personally want to earn my tailwheel endorsement.

We asked some of our own AOPA staff pilots what their resolutions were. Check them out and share yours in the discussion.

Katie Pribyl's aviation reslolution is to paint and polish her Cessna 180 named "Buck" in its original scheme. You may rememer seeing Katie's story featured in AOPA Pilot Magazine
8c0261362c60d29e249e3627178511d4-huge-ka

Jamie Beckett, our You Can Fly Ambassador in Florida, said his resolution is to fly something different than a Cessna. Jamie wants to fly a Stearman!

c0349ebca5a36a2b9970b9667014db72-huge-ja

Setting new goals for yourself, whether big or small, are a great way to enhance your experience as a pilot.

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Tom Tracy on Jan 9, 2018 7:34 pm

I plan on attending the AOPA Missoula Fly In, but find little to outdated information on the fly in tab. What's up and when can we expect an updated page? Looking forward to the Missoula Fly In!!

Thanks for any info you can pass along..................Tom

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by John Munn on Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi Tom, check back on the Fly-In Hub tab for updated content. We are continuing to add content related to 2018 Fly-Ins on the Hangar as well as our website. We look forward to seeing you at a fly-in this year!

Thanks for posting.

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Tom Tracy on Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am

Hi John;

Thanks for the reply. I have my hotel reservations. Do I need to contact anyone in regard to aircraft tie down or any type of registration?
I'll be flying in to Missoula Thursday afternoon and staying until Sunday.

Thanks...........Tom

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Chris Eads on Jan 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Tom...glad you are coming to Missoula!! We plan to have our new website with all the 2018 event data and details--as well as RSVP options to tell us you're coming--up and running by early February. That will be time and place to let us know your plans to attend. It's always helpful to have a read on who's coming and what aircraft to expect. We will be publishing special arrival and departure procedures and a NOTAM about 6-weeks prior to the event, so also look for that. That will cover not only the flight procedures to get in, but also what to expect on arrival--aircraft parking, etc.

Hope this helps!!

Chris

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Paul Zeigler on Jan 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Aviation Goals for 2018: I plan on getting a Seaplane rating by March.  Also, my instrument navigation skills are rusty after a long hiatus and even though I have my Instrument rating, I'd like to take an instrument proficiency check and fly frequent cross country trips to build some more IMC experience.  Would you recommend investing in a Flight Simulator program to practice IFR flight at home between my lessons? If so, what program is best and what's a good PC to run it?

- Paul

John Munn

8c0261362c60d29e249e3627178511d4-huge-ka

c0349ebca5a36a2b9970b9667014db72-huge-ja

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jan 25, 2018 7:34 am

Paul Zeigler:

...Also, my instrument navigation skills are rusty after a long hiatus and even though I have my Instrument rating, I'd like to take an instrument proficiency check and fly frequent cross country trips to build some more IMC experience.  Would you recommend investing in a Flight Simulator program to practice IFR flight at home between my lessons? If so, what program is best and what's a good PC to run it?

​You can do a lot of real flying for the price of a good flight simulator, i.e., one that meets the FAA's standards, and even those are more procedures trainers than anything else.  The lack of fidelity, especially in control response, can really get in the way of honing instrument flying skills.  We generally use the sorts of devices you might put in your home to teach the procedures which are then practiced in the airplane, and that's the opposite of what you seem to be suggesting.  If you really want to practice between lessons, you'd be far better off grabbing a pal to be your safety pilot and practicing the preceding lessons's skills in the airplane.

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Richard Campbell on Jan 29, 2018 11:59 am

I'm going to build a helicopter kit, a Mosquito.

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Aaron Robertson on Jan 31, 2018 3:29 pm

I have just two solo cross countries before I am ready for my check ride for my Private Pilot cert.  Been enjoying the process very much.  I think getting that will be good for this year, I may try and get the UAV cert as well for possibly use at work.  Would also like to get a kitfox with a partner to use locally and build up my experience.

Re: What are your 2018 aviation resolutions?

Posted by Jorge Martinez on May 17, 2018 10:49 am

Im currently a student and is continueing his training.. What sucks is that my flight school just sold the cherokee i was training on so i will be moving to a newer plane but more costly. thankfully its the same brand but has landing gear which means i have to fly an extra 10hrs for insurance purposes before solo. Im just hoping to complete my checkride by the end of June..