Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Marty Bevill on Mar 24, 2018 6:15 pm

The guy lands on the taxiway over the top of a commercial airliner, doesn’t get in any trouble at all and gets an award for airmanship ?

Amazing

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by David Perkins on Mar 26, 2018 8:26 am

I hear the Senator Inhofe came in in second place!

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by David Stamp on Mar 26, 2018 8:33 am

The Harrison Ford award reminded me of the award Dan Rather got from the journalist industry swamp after the phony George Bush AWOL story he did.  If you are a member in good standing with the swamp they will do whatever it takes to salvage your reputation.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Kevin Labuda on Mar 26, 2018 8:46 am

I'm surprised they didn't give the award to a drone pilot!!!! Harrison Ford??? What a joke!

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Timothy Richter on Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm

My thoughts exactly.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Peter Whelan on Mar 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah, I almost fell out of the chair when I heard that. Hoover must be spinning in his grave.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Donald Rieser on Mar 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Most of us, no matter what our flying ability, have little infuence on politicians or the general public with regard to aviation issues. Harrison Ford has been willing to use his notoriety and popularity to raise awareness of the ATC privatization issue. He has supported Young Eagles and the EAA, and generally been a positive influence for general aviation. None of you have ever made a mistake flying? Bob Hoover was a lot more forgiving than this crowd.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by William Filiatreau on Mar 27, 2018 12:33 pm

I understand the political implications. GA needs all the support it can get. But when the controller said, "It wasn't a big deal," after Ford apologized, it rattled me. As a low hrs. pilot, I would have probably lost my certificate.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Mar 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Donald Rieser:

One mistake is one thing, but Ford has a long history of bent metal.  Of course, that's just an issue of skill, not bad judgment, like landing on a runway full of construction workers and equipment and then blaming others for that deliberate choice.  In that regard, I give Ford high marks for a positive attitude (especially his willingness to admit his mistakes and try to do better) if not for piloting skill.  Since skill is only one quarter of the award criteria ("airmanship, leadership, mentorship, and a pasion for aviation"), and he's certainly been a very positive force for avaition, I'm OK with that.  Frankly, I was most impressed by his positive attitude towards his one big mental error ("I'm the schmuck..."), and I wish more pilots had that willingness to admit error without having to be pushed into accepting responsibility.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Mar 27, 2018 7:10 pm

William Filiatreau:

Unlikely.  The FAA is no longer in the retribution business.  Under current FAA compliance policy, the issue would be how to make sure you understand how to avoid ever doing it again, not sending you to the penalty box unless you give them a lot of lip or otherwise try to blame someone else for your mistakes.  In a case like that taxiway landing, counseling and or remedial training would be the most likely result if you exhibit the same sort of positive attitude toward compliance evinced by Mr. Ford and don't appear to be unable to avoid doing it again.

Re: Harrison Ford gets Bob Hoover award?

Posted by Dean Brock on Apr 2, 2018 8:02 am

I'm glad I didnt get the award!  Im sure my mistakes would be spotlighted also.