Old logbook treasures

6 Replies - 2170 Views

Old logbook treasures

Posted by Jerry Raia on Jun 7, 2017 12:36 pm

In the process of switching to a a digital logbook I decided to copy over a good portion of my orginial logbooks line by line. Obviously I expect it will be a long project but what I didnt expect was the fond memories that came flooding back looking at each one of those entries. Starting with my very first intro flight in 1976. It's amazing how I could remember some of those flights very clearly with just a couple of terse notes entered by me or an instructor. If you havent I would urge those of you who have been around a while to take a look at those old books. There is a lot in them :)
--J

Re: Old logbook treasures

Posted by Meghan Custer on Jun 7, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Jerry -

That sounds like such a fun project! What a trip down memory lane that will be :)

Re: Old logbook treasures

Posted by Jamie Beckett on Aug 1, 2017 10:54 am

You're not kidding, Jerry. Having been a CFI for a quarter of a century now, I occasionally find myself on the receiving end of a note from a former student. When that happens I tend to go review my logs for that time period to find our flights and see what notes I made. It's quite an experience. Those logbooks are a diary of sorts. Not just for us to revisit, but also for our kids and grandchildren to flip through to get a unique look at the life we've lived in the air.

Re: Old logbook treasures

Posted by Jerry Raia on Aug 1, 2017 12:38 pm

I hadn't thought about that aspect, passing them on!
--J

Re: Old logbook treasures

Posted by Jeffrey Long on Dec 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Due to some water damage during a period of storage, my logbook became quite damaged. However, during the process of reconstructing I did just that and your are correct. The memories that came flooding back (no pun intended) were incredible!
Much of my logbook was illegable but was able to make out bits and pieces.
Old rusty pilot soon to be current and an aircraft owner!

Re: Old logbook treasures

Posted by Jerry Raia on Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm

I actually finished transfering it all over! Took about 6 months at a couple of pages a day on average.
--J

Re: Old logbook treasures

Posted by Richard Gallaher on Jan 14, 2018 4:25 pm

I kept all my old log books for just this reason. I never intended to become a commercial pilot. I just made notes of my adventures.