From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Roberto Schnakofsky on Oct 8, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello Hangar,

I'm planing my first long VFR xcrountry  trip from KDWH to KISM in a Diamond DA40 I have reserve the airplane the first week of November, but now I'm doubting if November is a good month to do this. Is November a good month to fly to Florida?.
Your help will be very appreciate
Regards,

Roberto

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Michael Walpole on Oct 9, 2018 10:35 am

VFR or IFR?
How many stops?  I'm assuming you are following the coast line?

Realistically, I think that is about the distance where I would consider taking a commercial airline flight.  While not as much fun, it would probably be less expensive.  If you are VFR I suspect you would need to be very flexible with your flight planning and be prepared to make in-flight decisions for routing and stops.  Even IFR could present significant issues.  You are talking close to 800nm here, so you'll need at least 1 stop.  2 or 3 might be better.  Be prepared, if VFR, for it to take several days to get there depending on weather.  Same for returning.

I flew from Northern VA to Oshkosh this year for a 1 week stay.  I had the plane reserved for 2 weeks in order to have the flexibility I needed going VFR.  As it worked out it was a good thing I did because I ended up going in early to beat the weather.  Same thing leaving.  2 stops going and 1 stop coming back with alternates for weather if needed.
Mike W

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Roberto Schnakofsky on Oct 9, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your comments. Yes, it will be a VFR with 2 fuel stops my route would be KDWH-KBXA-KMAI-Kism whit fuel stop in KBXA and KMAI planing not more that 2:45 each leg. I want to spend 2 or 3 days in Florida. I also have reserved the aircraft for 8 days just in case.

Roberto

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Kurt Johnson on Oct 9, 2018 3:05 pm

Fly commercial????  For real?   Of course it would be cheaper, but we don't fly because its cheap!!!   Just sayin' ...
Your trip will be much more memorable BECAUSE you flew yourself.  One tip if you're generally flying the coast; you can bypass the inland afternoon thunderstorms by playing the inland flow of wind in the afternoon to your advantage. Enjoy your flight!

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Michael Walpole on Oct 9, 2018 3:45 pm

Kurt Johnson:

Looking at it from a practical sense.  If you want an adventure and have the money, then flying yourself makes sense.  Flying to Oshkosh was only partially practical, but it was a great memory.  Next time I'm planning to go in with the Cherokee mass arrival.  Other than that, It's kind of more of using the airplane as a time machine.  Flying a 100kt Warrior kicks butt on a 100-200nm trip, past 300nm it gets harder to justify the expense from a utilitarian point of view unless the adventure outweighs the expense.  What I need is a 170kt airplane that sips 8gph.

Mike W

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Roberto Schnakofsky on Oct 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Kurt Johnson:

Hi Kurt, totally agree with you It will be a memorable trip to see my grandchildren. Thank you so much .
Roberto

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Bryan Bogle on Oct 24, 2018 10:12 am

Roberto,

I've made this trip several times both IFR and VFR. I'm based out of KEFD and it's a nice trip. Depending on what time of the week (weekdays) you are leaving on, the airspace around Pensacola can get really busy with military traffic.If on the weekend, it shouldn't be that busy. Your route is pretty spot on and you've got plenty of outs with additional airfield throughout the area. I've been caught VFR over the top once and was able to fly about another 30 minutes and found a field that was VFR when my planned fuel stop was IFR prior to being IFR Rated. Have a great flight!

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Edward Poole on Oct 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Michael Walpole:
VFR or IFR?
How many stops?  I'm assuming you are following the coast line?

I'll second the commercial option if you need to be there for a date or time.  If not, I bet it will be a great adventure!  Let's not be too hard on Walpole. Sometimes it's just not feasible to make those trips.  I was planning on trying a trip similar from Central Louisiana (2L0) to Melbourne, FL (KMLB) to visit my wife's family this summer.  Turns out Frontier is selling tickets from Lafayette (KLFT) to Orlando (KORL) for $77.00 or $154.00 round trip (plus tax of course).  I can't rent (wet) a plane for that an hour.  Try to sell that trip to your spouse:  "Hey, let's take 2x-3x as long to get there, it will cost 3x-4x as much and if the weather is bad we are stranded who knows where, but it will be an adventure (I'll add my 5 year old in there as a wild card as well)!"  She looked at me like I was crazy, and rightfully so.  There are great adventures out there but know your limits and be reasonable with your expectations.  I've watched too many Air Safety Videos of pilots with "get-there-itis" who's flights ended badly.

Re: From Houston, TX to Kissimee, FL

Posted by Roberto Schnakofsky on Oct 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Bryan Bogle:
Roberto,

Hi Bryan,
Thank you so much fro your notes. I'm not in a hurry, if is not in November because weather it could be in February or March. I think that in a long cross country flight you are going to learn a lot. Regards,