Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Re: Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Posted by Christopher Mcintyre on Jul 25, 2018 8:30 pm

If God had meant for man to fly he would have made everyone a millionaire.

Re: Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Posted by Gary Drescher on Jul 30, 2018 8:29 am

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that da Vinci said anything like that. He never flew, and no one who repeats that alleged quote cites any evidence that it's from da Vinci. The earliest documented appearance of the quote was in an episode of a 1960s TV series, Saga of Western Man. But there too, no supporting evidence was mentioned for the attribution.

Re: Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Posted by Brennan Callan on Jul 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Gary,
thanks for that possible quote because I have been SLOWLY researching and writing an Aviation Poetry Book (non-religious ideas/templates for memorials) as a tribute to a friend of mine that died in an ultralight plane crash 27 Feb 2009, the crash was hours before on 26 Feb 2009 at Zamperini Field in Torrance, CA.  My friend was only 33-years old.  He was a Hollywood writer/actor/etc.

When I wanted to put on an aviation memorial for him, there were not any great sources of information to help me do it.

On the AOPA HANGER, I started a separate group for aviation poetry.  Anyone is welcome to join that new group.

Best wishes,
Brennan

Re: Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Posted by Gary Drescher on Jul 31, 2018 7:28 am

That's a thoughtful gesture, Brennan--good luck with it.

There are some aviation quotes here: http://www.wiseoldsayings.com/aviation-quotes/ .  Unfortunately, they don't cite sources, which makes responsible fact-checking a little harder. But it's encouraging that they at least omit the false da Vinci quote.

Wikiquote does provide sources for its aviation quotes, but it has only a handful of such quotes.

Re: Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Posted by Brennan Callan on Jul 31, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi Gary, et al.,
one of the challenges of doing the aviation poetry book is that I must get permission from the author or it needs to be an old enough quotation that it would not longer be protected by copyright.  In a way, this encourages me to welcome newer poets to write and contribute so that I can have file out a permission to me to include their poetry.

I also need/want to be sure that the actual poets get credit that is correctly due to them.

Thanks for the webpage/suggestion.
bye
Brennan

Re: Favorite Aviation Quotes?

Posted by Edward Pataky on Aug 6, 2018 9:22 am

Don't worry.  We haven't left one up there yet."

If you have time to spare, go by air.
If you have more time yet, take a jet.

I didn't bounce... I'm getting current.