Reciprocal UK-US private and further training

1 Reply

Reciprocal UK-US private and further training

Posted by James Devoy on Jul 9, 2018 10:55 pm

I am a UK private (PPL) pilot. I have recently relocated on a 3 year business visa to Atlanta. I have obtained a reciprocal FAA private certificate. This affords me all the privileges of an FAA licence as long as I hold my UK CAA license. Now, whilst in the USA I would like to do further training, specifically IR and ME. Can I do these and add onto my reciprocal licence or do/should I sit an actual FAA licence so my UK and US licences are separated.   If I did that do I also need to sit all the exams again or would a checkride practical exam suffice?

Can’t seem to find the answers anywhere. Any advice appreciated 


Re: Reciprocal UK-US private and further training

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jul 10, 2018 8:38 am

Yes, you can add the ME and instrument ratings to your FAA PPL issued on the basis of your UK PPL.  For the ME, you need only to train to proficiency with a FAA CFI and take the practical test with a FAA DPE.  For the instrument rating, you will have to take the instrument written, complete the aeronautical experience and flight training per 14 CFR 61.65, and take the instrument practical test.  This is covered in FAA Order 8900.1.

Whether those can transfer back to your UK PPL is a question for the CAA.