Checkride questions/actions

Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Jorge Martinez on Jul 12, 2018 8:04 am

Hello everyone,

I'm getting closer to my checkride and i just want to make sure what some of my main focuses should be. Please share your experience on your checkrides and things you wish you knew, or didn't focus on so much.

appreciate every ones feedback

Re: Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jul 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Your focus should be on relaxing and doing the things your instructor tells you to do.  Perhaps the most important thing to do which you may not have yet done is reading the Airman Certification Standards for the certificate/rating for which you are training.  It explains the whole practical test system and process, along with specific things to do in preparation.  Your instructor can help you get either a free electronic copy or a commercially-printed paper copy.

Re: Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Nicole Applegate on Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Hey Jorge. I agree with Ronald. Learn some relaxation techniques before you go. I remember being exhausted after my checkride because I was so tense the whole time and I still had to fly myself back home afterward.

Re: Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Jorge Martinez on Jul 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks Ronald, i did not know about that, but i did just find it and read through it. Do they choose which element knowledge points to ask about or do they ask for everything on the ACS? Will definetly practice some relaxation techniques Nicole. lol

Re: Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Andrew Nakushian on Jul 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I just took my private pilot check-ride yesterday (7/12). The way the exam conducted is at the examiners discretion. He/she will go over the entire ACS syllabus however, it doesn't have to be sequential and tasks can be combined. For example: my DPE had me enter slow flight then transition straight into a power off stall. My DPE also used a power-off 180 to a normal landing as a simulated engine failure. I would talk to your CFI and see if they know anything about what the examiner prefers. Each examiner is unique and will have their own preferences. Do not be afraid to ask about their preferences. If you are used to using Foreflight ask if the DPE is okay with you using it; my DPE was fine with that but I know others who aren't. The point of the check-ride is to convince the examiner that you can exercise PIC decision making safely and effectively. If you can do that you should have no problem with the exam.

My recommendations to anyone taking a practical test:
  • Study the ACS- the FAA is literally telling you what you need to do to pass. Study up and know what you need to accomplish.
  • Do some background research on your DPE- ask instructors and other students who have taken check-rides with that DPE what their preferences are.
  • Study up on local airspace- Is there any special use airspace nearby? If so it will almost always be on the oral exam.
  • Make sure your logbook and endorsements are in proper order. My DPE told me that the easiest way to bust a check-ride is to not have the proper paperwork.
  • Make sure the aircraft is in proper inspection (You should do this before every flight but its especially important before the check-ride)
    • This was even more important because the FAA was actually doing document inspections of the aircraft on the field that day.
Other than that fly your best and good luck!

Re: Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jul 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Jorge Martinez:

If you read it again more slowly and carefully, you'll see your question is answered in detail in the ACS.

Re: Checkride questions/actions

Posted by Bryan Seale on Jul 16, 2018 2:02 pm

one quick thought, sometimes you can get a gouge from an instructor for a particular examiner that can be helpful on what to expect. e.g. "this guys is really focused on air worthiness" or "he's really interested in finding stuff in the FAR/AIM", "systems" , etc...

it's not like a cheat and lots of examiners change stuff, but can be a little help focusing your studies.

Also, there's no perfect test. The examiners (IMHO) don't expect perfection so relax.

Re: Checkride questions/actions