AOPA Insurance

AOPA Insurance

Posted by Robert Kelly on Oct 2, 2018 10:15 pm

What are others experience with AOPA Aircraft Insurance?

Re: AOPA Insurance

Posted by Lonzo Mc Laughlin on Oct 8, 2018 8:31 am

I have had both individual and flying club rates quoted by them.  I’ve always gotten better prices by my local broker.

AOPA is simply a broker as well.

Re: AOPA Insurance

Posted by James Carter on Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Sorry to say, but I have to agree with Lonzo. Of course I was trying to insure a '46 Funk in 1985 and most recently a '46 NAvion in 2008. They might be competitive on more popular iron, but not so on older small fleet number models.

Re: AOPA Insurance

Posted by Richard Dugger on Oct 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I have always found their rates to be competitive.
Not always the cheapest but competitive.
If you are using other vendors to save only a few bucks remember that those other vendors are not supporting your right to fly everyday.

Just keep that in mind.
I have used then since 1982 when I bought my first plane and don't anticipate switching.
Happy landings

Re: AOPA Insurance

Posted by KRZL Airport on Oct 18, 2018 2:10 pm

I worked for AOPA Insurance for 12+ years over 2 stints and can tell you that overall, AOPA Insurance does a fairly good job (or at least when I was involved a few years ago). I also worked for another broker and have knowledge of a few bad apples out there. As others have indicated, AOPA is a broker. They will get the same exact quote as any other broker, provided they supply the same information to the insurance carriers. Regardless of what a broker will tell you or imply, no one broker has an advantage over others when it comes to price.

This all assumes that brokers release the same information to insurance carriers. This is where having an experienced broker comes into play. Experienced brokers can guide you through the process and can take the time to understand your wants and needs. An experienced broker will also take the time to go over all potential discounts available to you (past discounts include recent flight review, recent aircraft-specific training, AOPA membership, EAA membership, Antique Aircraft Assoc. membership, etc.).

AOPA, like many other brokers, has a mix of very experienced agents as well as inexperienced agents. I will also tell you that I've personally experienced very experienced agents that were overloaded by the sheer volume of work, so much so that they were bogged down and not providing the quality of service you might expect from an experienced agent.

My personal suggestion, don't shop for brokers based on price because there is no price advantage. Instead, shop for a broker you feel you can trust. If you don't get the service you think you deserve, speak to the manager. Ask to see all the quotes they get and ask them which carriers they shopped so you can make an informed decision. Don't make a knee-jerk reaction to select the cheapest policy. Take the time to understand the difference since some policies are bare-bones and others give you a lot of additional coverage you may not even know you needed until after a claim. Make sure they take the time to understand your needs and discuss discounts with you.

With that said, as long as the broker you are with has access to and shops the market with all of your information include any applicable discounts, you will have the same quote you would be able to get from any other broker. Avemco is the one exception. Since they are a direct writer, you actually have to talk to AVEMCO to get a quote with them. Keep in mind that a broker is your advocate, works on your behalf and (should) have your best interest at heart. Avemco's representatives work directly for AVEMCO and represent the company. Although they have a duty to AVEMCO, they should still treat you fairly.

Re: AOPA Insurance

Posted by Eric Butcher on Nov 19, 2018 1:51 pm

They wouldn't even quote 300 hour me and my exotic high performance PA28-181 rocket ship!

Of course I was an ancient 57 at the time.

Maybe it's all that exotic day VFR I like to fly in sunny weather.

Could be the runway 11,000ft of asphalt.

Risky so it seems.

Paid $6,000 pa to insure it with names at Lloyds in London, could be the massive hull value of $75,000 (don't worry though the $7,500 excess softens the blow for them) - yup, an airliner policy - Boeings, Airbuses, Antanovs and my PA28! - being with them a couple of years but they too are getting out of the PS28 business too - maybe AOPA are on to something:)

Re: AOPA Insurance

Posted by Ronald Levy on Nov 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Eric Butcher:

Maybe that's because it's based outside the USA?