FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Dave Rabazzi on Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Excited to hear the AOPA announcement regarding another FAA rebate program for ADS-B installations. Hoping someone might be able to share information on when that rebate program might be available? Is it something expected this year or not until sometime next year?

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Ronald Levy on Oct 11, 2018 11:17 pm

The FAA has released no further information on this.  You'll have to stand by for the official FAA release.

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Jorge Martinez on Oct 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Just read this on this site. Its going to be open until next year October.

Baker continued, “Over the past four years, AOPA has worked with the FAA and manufacturers through the Equip 2020 Working Group to develop lower cost solutions, especially for those flying legacy aircraft which often are not already equipped with a Wide Area Augmentation System GPS sensor, a necessary component for ADS-B Out. As a result of this collaboration, the cost of the equipment has dropped from more than $5,000 a few years ago to less than $2,000 today.”

A number of avionics manufacturers have recently released lower cost products that meet compliance regulations The Appareo Stratus ESG and Garmin GTX 335 transponders are both $2,995 plus installation, and the Garmin GDL 82 universal access transceiver—which works in conjunction with an existing transponder—is $1,795 plus installation. uAvionix has promised lower cost products that replace aircraft navigation lights, including the skyBeacon, a UAT priced at $1,849 plus installation, which is eligible for installation on certified aircraft as well as experimental and light sport aircraft.

As before, there are five steps aircraft owners should follow to meet the mandate and receive the $500 rebate. First, purchase the equipment and schedule installation. Second, get a Rebate Reservation Code by reserving a position online. Third, install the equipment. Fourth, conduct the required equipment performance validation flight and get an Incentive Code. Fifth, claim the $500 rebate online using the Rebate Reservation Code and Incentive Code.

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by James Hays on Oct 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Just a thought, but maybe they should give the rebate to all of us that were early adopters as a way of saying, "Thank you!  Your early efforts helped us prove the value of ADS-B.  Since you paid a premium price before prices started dropping, here's a post-purchase rebate."

BTW, you're welcome!

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Richard Mutzman on Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am

I agree about making the rebate retroactive.  I put my unit in in March 2018. Too late for the earlier 2017 rebate, and now to early for the 2018 rebate.  Talk about totally screwed up process.  We were told that there would NOT be another rebate, avionics shops were filling up, and the deadline was approaching.  Better get it done!  A lot of folks includimg myself did just that in 2018.  But now procastination pays off with a $500 rebate??  But, I guess it is the government run FAA.  BTW, where is AOPA and the other alphabet soups on this?  Crickets....  I guess if I dropped my AOPA membership for the next 6 years I’ll get my rebate. Hhmmmm??

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Brennan Callan on Oct 15, 2018 11:30 am

Richard et al.,
the rebate topic is covered in this week's AOPA LIVE.  The AOPA has been involved in the discussions.  Watch the video for more information.

Best wishes,
Brennan

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by David Swett on Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Link to AOPA LIVE?

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Robert Rosenbaum on Oct 16, 2018 4:57 pm

I totally agree with Mr Hays and Mutzman.  The FAA is encouraging aircraft owners to wait until the last minute to comply. I added ADS-B in/out in 2015. While I have found the features to be wonderful I would have expected the FAA to encourage owners to comply as soon as possible. Instead the program message has been "keep waiting and see if the deal is sweetened".

Thank you FAA (which is more than I got)!

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by Richard Dugger on Oct 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Re: FAA ADS-B Rebate Round 2

Posted by David Wiley on Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

I installed my ADS-B transponder back in  August. Not knowing the rebates would be re-established. So I asked the FAA if I was eligible.

Here is their reply: "The FAA re-opened its rebate program to encourage general aviation (GA) aircraft owners to equip with Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) before the Jan. 1, 2020 mandate. The FAA's ADS-B Rebate program is targeted towards aircraft owners who have not yet equipped. Any installations completed before the October 12thre-launching of the rebate will not qualify for the program. Please visit our website for more information. https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/"

Seems as though we who wanted to move forward before the last minute and were not clairvoyant are S.O.L.