First class medical

First class medical

Posted by Jorge Martinez on Dec 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a student pilot and i received a first class medical in January of this year. Now i know that if you have a third class medical that you have 5 years to renew it if under 39(which i am), so my question is would it be smarter for me to get a third class medical(if possible) now so that i dont have to worry about updating my first class in another year? Any details on this would be appreciated.

thanks all

Re: First class medical

Posted by John Houser on Dec 13, 2018 8:57 am

Your medical is good for 60 months if you are using it for 3rd class privileges. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/general/validity/

Re: First class medical

Posted by Jorge Martinez on Dec 13, 2018 10:07 am

thank you but this is where i get a little stuck. I turn 40 oct of next year, which is within the 2 years of having my medical certificate, so would that mean going forward i need to up date the following in january since thats where i was orignally issued the certificate?

Re: First class medical

Posted by Ronald Levy on Dec 13, 2018 11:06 am

Jorge Martinez:

No.  The 2-year/5-year question is decided by your age the day you took the exam.  Since you were under 40 on that day in Jan 2018, your current medical is valid as Third Class for 60 calendar months thereafter, i.e., until 1/31/2023.  The only question for the future is whether you want to do another medical in Oct 2019 before the day you turn 40 and have that one valid as a Third for 60 months until Oct 31, 2024, or wait until your current medical goes invalid for Third in Jan 2023 when you're 43 and then get one valid for 24 months through Jan 2025.

Of course, while it's still valid as a Third Class until Jan 2023, and as a Second Class until 1/31/19, the First Class medical certificate you got in Jan 2018 has been invalid for First Class purposes since 7/31/18 (six calendar months after the exam).  If you need a First Class for any reason in the future, you'll need to do another First Class exam at that time.

Re: First class medical

Posted by Jorge Martinez on Dec 14, 2018 10:46 am

Noooow i understand. Thank you so much Ronald. I might just do the exam next year Oct just to have that extra year for 2024. ;)

Re: First class medical

Posted by Dennis Thrasher on Dec 17, 2018 8:17 am

First class is good for a year if done before your fortieth birthday.