how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Robert Johnson on Jun 17, 2017 8:41 am

Lokking for a doctor in the Ann Arbor area that will do a basic med exam and paperwork.....any ideas

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med? In long beach ca?

Posted by Pascal Reid on Nov 26, 2017 1:53 pm

John Lyons:
Looking for a local dotor to do my basic med exam in long beach california?
john

John;
I am getting mine done on Lakewood Blvd by the circle. The Drs that I found were Ron Philip and Dr Tara Reid. I explained to them how the Basic Med worked and they accepted doing the exam. I tried a couple of other Drs and they were not "comfortable" doing the exam.
Best of Success!
P

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Jason Moore on Nov 27, 2017 6:52 am

I went to my family doctor for a regular appointment and asked the doc if they could do the exam. "No, we don't do aviation exams." I explained this was new and the doc said he'd take it to the board and let me know. No response months later. Another appointment and I asked again, different doc. "No, we don't do aviation exams." I explained again, and then explained that I'd be most displeased if as a customer they couldn't do this. That I'd probably keep all my business with the doc who would do my BasicMed. "We'll get back to you." Never heard back.

Then I was taking my kid to the doc, same office. I asked again. They started with the we don't do it thing and I said I already know that, but this isn't an aviation exam, it's more like a physical. The nurse said I'd need to asl the office manager. I was led to her and she said they didn't do aviation exams. I explained the new law, the new rules, and then showed her the exam form. When she saw the form, she perked up and said, "Oh, this is easy. Yeah, no problem. We can do that." I explained that everyone else had told me no so could she help me make the appointment at the desk so it would go through when I showed up. "Sure. No problem."

I have an appointment at my regular doc in February to get my Basic Med exam done. I even got them to skip the labs (they ALWAYS want labs at this doc) since it wasn't required.

Of course perseverance paid off, but my suggestion is to have the exam form in hand. Until the manager saw the exam form, it was doubtful. Also, the docs are used to saying no they don't do aviation exams. You have to get them to understand that this is a new type of exam, not the one they haven't been doing for decades. Lastly, it's not up to the docs, or the nurses, it appears to be an admin decision so you have to ask someone that you don't normally see. Not the front desk, not the docs. Some back office person decides these things.

The practice is Garner Family Practice in Garner, NC. If you call them today, they probably will say no as they still aren't doing them as a normal practice. I'm the test case.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Richard Ingrao on Sep 15, 2018 2:22 pm

I’ve been trying for a year and a half to get U of M Briarwood Family Practice in Ann Arbor to do this for me.  I had to fire my long time primary care physician over this because he refused to even respond to my letters, messages on the patient portal and phone calls asking if he would do the exam.  I went to a second physician a month ago who looked right at me and said he would do it but he would have to check with the clinic management before sending it to me but he would contact me in 2 days.  I left his office and then he went on total radio silence and now does not respond to any communication.  Basic Med has done nothing for me.  A U of M doctor is my only option due to my complicated medical history.  Explaining that history to any doctor who does not have access to my records in the U of M system is something I will not put myself through.  I’ll stop flying before I do that.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Brennan Callan on Sep 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Richard, et al.,
this issue about getting a medical sounds exhausting, frustrating, disappointing, as well as time-consuming.  As you are just up at Exit 35, you could consider driving into Ohio and get down to Cinci to visit their Flight Surgeon at SPORTY'S and then make a visit to the gift shop.  It is a fun place to visit.  They have many other helpful resources that are detailed on www.sportys.com.  If you visit on a Saturday, you get FREE HOT DOGS.  You will want to schedule your medical visit to ensure your trip is successful, but you won't be having to teach a Flight Surgeon how to do his job.

They even have a barber there because we all know that streamlining your haircut gets better fuel economy and helps avoid unnecessary "distracted flying" if you are brushing your hair on take-off.

The other option is just fly LIGHT SPORT AVIATION (LSA) and have a SPORT PILOT CERTIFICATE.  The hassle of getting a medical appointment each two years will never be a problem again as long as you have a driver's license.

More details about LSA on the EAA's site: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/light-sport-aircraft

Best wishes,
Brennan

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Michael Walpole on Sep 19, 2018 8:37 am

Don't forget the brats - they have those too.

I definitely suggest Pilot Protection Services from AOPA.  They walked me through getting a special issuance medical 2 years ago.  Just renewed it again yesterday so I am good for another year.
Mike W

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by John Mcglynn on Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

I had a mytral  valve repair done at Cleveland Clinic in 2010.  I told my cardiologist that I was a recreational pilot and wanted to regain my medical after the procedure.  His response was that it was the flight surgeon’s decision.  That should have been a clue.  I completed all the FAA procedures including the Bruce Protocol Stage 3 but still no joy.  When basic med became available I approached my primary care physician.  His only requirement was that I get a letter from the cardiologist stating the mytral valve issues were behind me.  The cardiologist still wouldn’t budge.  Meanwhile I spoke to a fellow pilot who had a heart attack and had regained his medical.  His cardiologist had been a student pilot.  Bottom line,  I changed cardiologist, he performed some additional tests, and sent a positive note to the PC Physician.  My advice is talk to your local pilot friends and find a sympathetic PC physician.  BTW - meanwhile I bought a 94 Kitfox IV Speedster in 2011 and put 500 hours on it over the next 5 years.  That airplane was a lot more fun to fly than the 4 place spam can I fly now.