how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

10 Replies - 4092 Views

how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Robert Johnson on Jun 17, 2017 8:41 am

Lokking for a doctor in the Ann Arbor area that will do a basic med exam and paperwork.....any ideas

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by William McDonald on Jun 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello Robert,
I was lucky enough to stumble onto a pilot's forum online and a member posted the name of a somewhat nearby Houston MD who performed BasicMed exams. I was fortunate because all of the local AME's I called said no. Other ideas that also didn't work out included Urgent care facilities because they do truck driver physicals for commercial drivers license under D.O.T. rules. D.O.T. sound familiar? It should since FAA is an agency under D.O.T. Regardless, these clinics in my area plus dozens of private MDs will not do BasicMed exams. I can only urge you to not give up, continue to ask fellow pilots, flying clubs and local FBOs for leads and I wish you luck
William

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Edward Figuli on Jun 30, 2017 12:28 am

I went to a MedExpress Urgent Care facility in our area (eastern Pennsylvania).  They do DOT physicals.  The doctor there read over the AOPA information and agreed to do the physical to the DOT standards.  Took about 45 minutes and cost $85.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Ronald Levy on Jun 30, 2017 9:21 am

Edward Figuli:

And signed the checklist?  You might want to post the exact location/contact information of that facility so others can find it.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Edward Figuli on Jun 30, 2017 10:18 pm

I think they have three DOT doctors on site.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med? In long beach ca?

Posted by John Lyons on Jul 3, 2017 2:17 am

Looking for a local dotor to do my basic med exam in long beach california?
john

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Dennis Thrasher on Jul 10, 2017 5:45 am

Try an occupational medicine clinic.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Rolf Wallin on Sep 14, 2017 9:55 pm

I am a physician and a pilot in Fayetteville, NC (KFAY), and I am willing to do Basic Med exams.
I can be contacted via email at wallinnc@hotmail.com

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Joe Mayer on Oct 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Any docs in the NW burbs of the Chicagoland area willing to sign off Basic Med ?

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Robert Weil on Nov 1, 2017 10:20 am

AOPA is keeping a list of doctors doing Basic Med. You can email or call to get the ones in your area. If you’ve found a doctor, please report it for everybody.

Re: how do you find a Doctor that will do a basic med?

Posted by Ferdinand Mack on Nov 2, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi all,

As Robert mentioned, AOPA is compiling a list of doctors who wish to perform BasicMed exams. I would urge any pilots who are having difficulty locating a state licensed physician who will perform the exam to give us a call in the Pilot Information Center on the BasicMed hotline at 888-462-3976 in order to speak with a specialist who can assist you.