Not qualified for Basic Med

Not qualified for Basic Med

Posted by Nat Jackson on Jun 17, 2017 11:02 am

I don't qualify for basicmed due to the fact that my one and only second class medical certificate was obtained in 09/2003 and was never renewed. I now have been diagnosed with type II diabetes. While my last three labs have my A1c at or below 7.5 I still have to obtain an initial Special Issuance from the FAA.

My question, has anyone gone through this process? How long does it take? How much did it cost you? How many doctors did you have to see to meet all the FAA requirements? Any guidance you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Nat

Re: Not qualified for Basic Med

Posted by Dennis Thrasher on Jul 31, 2017 6:12 am

If I'm not mistaken the Airman Medical Certification Division does not review results from Basic Med. It's under the direction of FSDO.

Re: Not qualified for Basic Med

Posted by Joe Stubblefield on Aug 24, 2017 11:12 am

It could take a few months to get your special issuance if needed. I just got through wrangling with FAA again over my special issuance for diabetes. There was a new form required from my Dr that they faxed to my AME in Jan. It was sent in to FAA with unanswered questions which promptly got me a nastygram from OK City in late July which said I must reply and answer all questions by 60 days from date of letter, which was in June. I was trying to line up tests required in my case and then called the NY FAA med office. They informed me I just needed to supply info that was needed and some that was also lost on their end apparently. Fax issues I think. Anyway I got the blanks filled in and everything resent from Jan and got calls from my AME and the very nice lady at FAA NY almost immediately telling me all was now golden with my special issuance again. So, if you do require the special issuance figure 2-3 days per year and several hundred dollars after insurance to keep it going and then constant worry if they want something 5-8 months out or you are grounded. Pull up the FAA chart on meds allowed for diabetes. Do not think you have it all worked out and then let your doctor prescribe the wrong drug or combo of drugs. Another aggravating and costly thing is getting all tests required to FAA that are current, within 60 days. Sometimes this requires getting two tests per year when your Dr might only want one. f5bbc827815d0a7b69233cd790fab4f5-huge-im
Tighten down on the diet and excercise regimes. ......and maybe still you will be electing basic med after getting all straightened out. Good health and good flying!

Re: Not qualified for Basic Med

Posted by George Ryan on Feb 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Nat
While your certificate was issued in 2003, when did it expire for Third Class privileges?  My understanding is that as long as it was valid for one day past 14 July 2006, then you had a valid certificate for the BasicMed purposes. It would all depend upon your age at the date of the examination. If you were 39 years and 364 days, then that certificate was good for 5 years for third class privileges, or until September 2008.

It isn’t when the certificate was issued, but when it expired.

I sure hope this applies to you and is helpful for you.

v/r

George

Re: Not qualified for Basic Med

Posted by Ronald Levy on Feb 26, 2018 8:51 pm

To reiterate what I said last June, if Ned was under 40 when he got his last FAA medical in September, 2003, so it was still valid for Third Class on July 15, 2006, then he can go on Basic Med as long as the signing physician feels his diabetes is sufficiently under control that he can safely fly for the next four years because diabetes is not one of the conditions requiring one-time special issuance for Basic Med.  However, if the OP was over 40 when that last medical was issued, it expired for Third Class before July 14, 2006, and it cannot be the basis for Basic Med operations, and he'll have to get a Third Class medical.  Ned said his A1c was under 7.5, but not what it actually is.  If it's over 6.5, he cannot qualifiy for in-office issuance of a Third Class, and he will have to go through the Special Issuance process for Type II diabetes to get that Third Class before reverting to Basic Med upon expiration of that Third Class, typically one year after the Special Issuance.  OTOH, if his A1C is currently 6.5 or less and his fasting glucose is 125 or less, and he's not taking any diabetes medication other than metformin, he can get an in-office issuance of a Third Class under the CACI Pre-Diabetes protocol, and then go Basic Med when it expires 24 months later.

Re: Not qualified for Basic Med

Posted by Derek Schwartz on Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I got my FAA physical for $125.  It only took me 60 days total and most of that time was due to my personal physician delaying records.   Please get a hold of me. This is a simple, quick and easy process.  I have type 2 as well. The trick is use a doctor (the one I have) that knows the exact process.